Translate

Friday, June 29, 2012

Puss-oozing Feet

Since we began working in La Fe 6 months ago, I have met many sick people. Our free clinic brings in quite a few people who suffer from head colds to parasites to diabetes. Nothing I'd seen before prepared me for my recently blossoming relationship with Alejandrina (Drina).


I first met Drina and her family when Mike and I were walking through La Fe to see if it was where God was calling us (back in January). We were later warned that her husband, Jiero, was a "dangerous man" but thankfully did not experience that during our first encounter with this family.


Drina has two children, Maria (8ish) and Mauro (5ish). 4 months ago, Drina began to have some pain in her feet and decided to rest a while. What began as a brief recovery time turned into a week, which turned into a month, and that month then carried on to 4 months. After 4 months of "bed rest", Drina is no longer able to clean her house and care for her children and husband. Her feet now have exposed sores that ooze as she moves. Her breathing is labored and her mobility extremely limited. She has always been gordita (a little chubby), but she is now obese.


As a result of Drina's bed rest, Jiero quit his job as a carpenter, the children stopped attending school, the laundry began to pile high, the food was not cooked, soon there wasn't money for food, the television was sold, the couch was sold, Maria took on the responsibility of running the home (more or less), and Jiero had to start trying to find work that he could do while caring for his sick wife. The family came to a grinding halt. Money for tortillas or rice came irregularly. There were days where the only thing they "ate" was a small bag of milk. Despite the meager meals, Drina continued to suffer as her skin began to become sore from lack of movement and sweatiness of skin on skin contact 24/7.


About one month ago, my nurse friend, Erin, and I visited Drina in her home. Erin's orders: Get out of bed, start moving, and I'll see you at the clinic in two weeks! Drina didn't take those orders to heart.


This past Thursday, I decided it was time to pay Drina a visit. After a brief greeting (as she was covered by a sheet still on "bed rest"), I asked how she was. She showed me the gaping holes in the skin on her feet. She spoke to me about how expensive the medicine would be. She lamented how they had no food because they had to save everything for her medicine. The house smelled of excrement and sour garbage. The children were out begging for food and money. Jiero sat next to his wife's bed in thoughtful silence.


It was then that I cried out my Father. How could I help them - not just today or tomorrow - but help them get back to where they were before? Before she put herself in bed and her feet began to decompose...


It was then that God brought an answer to my (blonde) head. I asked if Drina would like me to come do exercises with her (standing/sitting, arm movements...). Yes. Yes, Jiero and Drina both agreed. After talking, Drina showed me that she can stand and walk a few steps on her own (HOORAY!). Her husband was shocked - he didn't think she could.


Today (Friday), I returned to La Fe to visit Drina and her family (with my broom in hand). Drina was sitting in a chair in front of the television, the kids were playing outside and Jiero was outside with them. When I saw Drina, she turned off the TV and showed me that she was dressed and excited to do exercises. I had not told her I would be returning, but she knew what I was there for.


God has given me a healthy, strong body and I put it to good use sweeping the floor in Drina's home - bedroom, living room, kitchen. Drina did some exercises while I was there. Her children helped me clean. Jiero repaired some shoes (his at-home business these days). It was beautiful.


After a bit, I took my leave - promising to return the next week to spend more time with her, do more exercises and telling her thank you for allowing me to spend time in her home. As I left, Jiero (a self-proclaimed NON-christian) thanked me repeatedly - tears in the corners of his eyes. This is no "dangerous man".


I do not hide that I am a missionary, nor do I pretend that cleaning her house was how I wanted to spend my Friday morning (mine is pretty grimy these days as well). I am just a messed-up sinner who God decided to place in La Fe and Drina is a precious child of God who I have the absolute honor to have a growing friendship with - puss-oozing feet and all.
Please pray for Alejandrina as she continues to struggled with her health, her family responsibilities, her emotional well-being, and her lack of understand of God's grace...

No comments:

Post a Comment