Translate

Monday, July 2, 2012

If You Can't Swim...


Yesterday we got to go to the beach to celebrate the birthday of our lovely teammate, Kate. While splashing around in the ocean, one of the girls that lives in Shannon's home for single mothers told me that she can't swim and was afraid for herself as well as her daughter. I encouraged her that she could stand easily in the water and that as long has her daughter was with someone, she would be just fine (blah, blah, blah...).

Before I knew it, the young mother was jumping and playing in the ocean - face in the water and everything! Her daughter was standing in the waves up to her waist and laughing joyfully as the water sprayed her face and eyes.

The fear that this mother had was unfounded. She and her precious daughter ended up have a most wonderful time in the ocean... but what if she had allowed her fear to stop her from getting in?

What am I afraid of? What is it that I'm not willing to give a try because I'm frightened - or just not fully trusting in the One who holds my life? Taking a step forward may not be as fun as playing in the ocean, but it just might be...

1 comment:

  1. So true, Ashley. Fear is what motives us at times to do things. Fear is also what keeps us from doing the very things we need to do.

    ReplyDelete